Dear Girl Scout Families and Friends,
The safety and well-being of girls, families, volunteers, and staff are of paramount importance to all of us. While what health officials know about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) continues to develop, we do know that verified cases in Arizona and surrounding states have been increasing, prompting businesses and organizations to take precautions. As such, we wanted to provide an update on how this impacts Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona activities.
At this time, the Arizona Department of Health is not recommending the closure of schools, therefore, we will continue with Girl Scout troop meetings and programs as planned. If your girl or someone in your home is ill, we ask that you please keep them home; do not send them to Girl Scout functions.
As for large scale events that draw high attendance, we find it prudent to follow guidelines and recommendations from appropriate sources and cancel and/or postpone our Council-wide events. Camporee will be postponed until April 2021. Young Women of Distinction will be postponed until September 2020. We will be assessing May events in the upcoming weeks.
We should all take preventative measures to avoid the spread of respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19 and Influenza.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Handwashing strategies include washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if soap and water are not available.
- Keep girls home when sick, and stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze, then immediately discard any tissues.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Avoid unnecessary physical contact, like holding hands.
GSUSA has also created a way to talk to girls— not by avoiding the topic, but by tackling it head-on. Please reference: How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus
We will continue to closely monitor events surrounding COVID-19 (Coronavirus), and we will keep you informed as it relates to Girl Scout activities. Stay safe.
Yours in Girl Scouting,
Interim Chief Executive Officer
Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona