One member, one vote
“The ultimate responsibility for the Girl Scout Movement rests with its members.”
- Preamble to the Girl Scouts Constitution Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona is governed by our membership.
• Ensuring the mission and values of Girl Scouting.
• Providing strategic direction and leadership for the council.
• The care, custody, and oversight of Girl Scouting within the council’s jurisdiction.
• Governance is the responsibility of the board of directors.
Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona’s governance process provides a structure for communication between the membership and the board of directors to influence policy regarding the council goals, issues affecting girls, and issues affecting the business of the organization. Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors composed of girls, women and men who believe in the value of Girl Scouting.
The Delegate Body consists of Senior and Ambassador Girl Scouts and adult volunteers who serve as voting members at the Council’s Annual Meeting. The Delegate Body also elects the Board of Directors and Board Development Committee and approves any revisions to the Council By-Laws and Articles of Incorporation.
Membership Delegates are the “voice of the Members” to the GSSoAZ Board of Directors and leadership staff. Delegates bring the concerns of the membership to the attention of the Board and staff and provide valuable feedback in determining the direction of our Movement.
Membership Delegates have voting rights in the GSSoAZ General Assembly body and vote in the election of the Board of Directors and National Delegates as well as all amendments and other matters requiring a vote.