TO: Girl Scouts of the USA Council Board Chairs and CEOs
Girl Scouts of the USA National Staff
FROM: Anna Maria Chávez, National CEO
DATE: March 9, 2012
SUBJECT: Girl Scout Week
Happy Birthday Girl Scouts!
This is going to be quite a special Girl Scout Week with our 100th birthday on Monday, March 12. Girl Scouts everywhere will be celebrating our centennial from a sunrise ceremony in Savannah, where it all began, to a sunset celebration in San Diego. Girls in many locations will be joining in the Girl Scout Promise and Law at 19:12 military time and wherever you are, special celebrations are planned.
Here are just a few of the many events around the country:
- Girl Scouts in Greater New York will be joining a flash mob around the Flatiron Building in Midtown Manhattan.
- Girl Scouts in Arizona will be lunching with the governor while girls in Sacramento, California, will gather to receive resolutions from both the California Senate and Assembly.
- In Nebraska, Girl Scouts will celebrate by breaking ground for a new outdoor education center in Lincoln, and by running an online fundraising campaign to raise $100,000 for girls in one day.
- Girls from Texas Oklahoma Plains will gather for fun at Six Flags Over Texas.
- And, the Juliette Low Flame of Friendship that has been traveling throughout Eastern Oklahoma will be lighting a 100-hour campfire, tended by girls and adults, to serve as the backdrop for a council-wide webcast on March 12.
As we celebrate the achievements of the Girl Scout Movement over the past 100 years, we will remain focused on our girls and the core values that Juliette Gordon Low instilled in Girl Scouting all those years ago. During Girl Scout Week and every day, all of you in Girl Scouting bring our Movement to life for millions of girls. You, along with our girls, truly make the world a better place.
Have a great celebration of 100 wonderful years and keep doing the important work of building girls of courage, confidence and character.